NCGDMW Lua Edition
A “Natural Grow” leveling mod, where your attributes grow automatically as your skills increase and your skills will also decay over time (Optional).
OpenMW 0.48 or newer is required!
This is a port of Greywander’s “Natural Character Growth and Decay - MW” mod for the OpenMW-Lua API.
→ Original concept, MWScript edition author
→ Lua edition authors
This short video demonstrates the whole process in under two minutes.
Download the zip from this URL (OpenMW 0.48.0 or newer is required!)
Extract the contents to a location of your choosing, examples below:
# Windows C:\games\OpenMWMods\Leveling\ncgdmw-lua # Linux /home/username/games/OpenMWMods/Leveling/ncgdmw-lua # macOS /Users/username/games/OpenMWMods/Leveling/ncgdmw-lua
Add the appropriate data path to your
openmw.cfgfile, for example:
Enable two of the below plugins via OpenMW-Launcher (read below for instructions about which to use), or add this to
openmw.cfg(official OpenMW documentation):
# Enable the default plugin when playing Morrowind... content=ncgdmw.omwaddon # ... Or the Starwind-specific plugin... content=ncgdmw_starwind.omwaddon # ... Or the "Alt Start" plugin for any non-Morrowind game. content=ncgdmw_starwind.omwaddon # Chose one of the above three depending on what game # you're playing. Everybody should also enable this: content=ncgdmw.omwscripts
When you finish selecting your character class and sign and get your papers, NCGDMW will begin. Press ESC and navigate to: Options >> Scripts >> NCGDMW in order to set up the mod’s options to your liking.
- File an issue on GitLab for bug reports or feature requests
johnnyhostile at modding-openmw dot com
- Leave a comment on Nexus mods
→ Other Notes
You will be prompted once the mod has activated, after you’ve selected your class and birthsign. You can change your mod settings at any time via the in-game mod settings menu.
Using A Localization
To use a specific localization supported by this mod, your
settings.cfg file must contain the following:
[General] preferred locales = pt_br,en <other options may be below here>
The above example prefers PT_BR locales but will use EN when anything isn’t available. See the official OpenMW documentation on this option for more information.
→ How Decay Works
The decay mechanic can be a nice way to balance the game and stave off becoming too powerful too quickly. Some things to keep in mind about this mechanic:
- Decay won’t begin right away; depending on the speed you’ve selected it could take between three and seventeen days of game time to begin.
- A skill cannot decay past one half of it’s previous maximum value. So if your Acrobatics skill was at 50, it can’t decay past 25.
- Regardless of a skill’s max value, it will not decay below 15.
- When you level up a skill, a small amount of decay progress is removed.
→ Help Localize NCGDMW
Do you speak a language that’s not yet offered and want to contribute a new localization? Follow these steps:
- Download a release zip from this URL
l10n/NCGDMW/en.yamlfile with your favorite text editor (Notepad++ is recommended for Windows)
Update each line (the quoted part after the
:) as desired
Save the file with the name
<CODE>is the language code for the localization you’re adding
Commit your change to git and open a merge request, or simply email the file to
New NCGD Localizationas the subject
→ Planned Features
Not yet implemented (not yet possible):
- Post-chargen new game config popup menu
- Play a sound when a stat decays
- Uncapped attributes and skills
- Configurable caps for all/individual attributes/skills
- Optional level up song and animation
- View decay progress by mousing over a skill
- Request a feature!